Tenure Track Faculty - Political Science (Identity Politics)
Job No: 506457
Work Type: Instructional Faculty - Tenured/Tenure-Track
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Faculty - Social Sciences, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time
COLLEGE: Social Science and Interdisciplinary Studies
DEPARTMENT: Political Science
POSITION TITLE: Identity Politics
DEPARTMENT SUMMARY: The Department of Political Science is dedicated to promoting political understanding and public engagement through innovative teaching, research, and community service in all areas of politics and political science. The Department values diversity among its faculty and is committed to building a culturally inclusive intellectual community. We strongly encourage applications from individuals with a commitment to working with a diverse community and student body. In addition, we are committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities through effective communication, access to facilities, and procedures and protocols for reasonable accommodations. The department currently consists of nearly 40 faculty, with about equal numbers of tenure-line and adjunct faculty. With approximately 700 Political Science majors, the department is deeply committed to high quality undergraduate and graduate education, offering multiple degree programs. The Department of Political Science also hosts a highly successful internship program in the state capitol and the prestigious Sacramento Semester Program, as well as an award-winning Model UN program. Undergraduate students can major in Political Science, International Relations, and Political Science/Journalism. Graduate students can pursue an MA degree in Political Science. The programs are managed on the main campus and downtown. Other opportunities include a lively peer-to-peer student mentoring program. The department is housed in the College of Social Sciences and Interdisciplinary Studies, consisting of ten academic departments and four interdisciplinary academic programs. There are several centers and institutes associated with the Department as well, including the Project for an Informed Electorate, the Iranian and Middle Eastern Studies Center, and the Center for Race, Immigration, and Social Justice.
This is a full-time tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor rank beginning with the Fall 2022 semester. Salary is dependent upon qualifications and professional experience.
- Teaching undergraduate and graduate courses
- Teaching sections of Politics of the Underrepresented, a course that focuses on the experiences and activities of marginalized communities excluded from political power. Faculty are encouraged to focus their sections according to their own interests and expertise.
- Advising and mentoring students
- Engaging in scholarly and professional activities
- Providing service to the department, college, and campus
- Providing service to the community
- Ph.D. in Political Science, or related field. ABD candidates will be considered. If ABD, candidates will be required to complete the doctoral degree by January 2023.
- Strong commitment to college teaching
- Expertise, desire, and ability to teach courses in areas such as politics of identity, race and ethnicity, gender and sexuality, social justice, religion, social movements, immigration, inequality, disability studies, and urban politics.
- Ability and commitment to teach courses in areas of identity politics.
- A demonstrated commitment to working with a diverse student body and diverse community.
- Demonstrated potential for research in one of the areas listed above and potential for scholarly achievement; open to subfield and methodological approach
- Experience in promoting and fostering a learning environment that is supportive of a diverse student body.
- Experience in working with a diverse community.
- Interest in participating in civic engagement initiatives, social justice centers, and other campus activities at Sacramento State.
- Interest in community engagement.
- Ability to teach Introduction to American Government
Initial review of applications will begin on December 6, 2021 and the position will remain open until filled.
Applicants must include the following:
- Cover letter addressing qualifications
- Current curriculum vita/resume
- Unofficial transcripts of all graduate work (official transcripts required if invited for an interview)
- Diversity statement that describes how your research, teaching, and/or service has contributed or will contribute to the advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI)
- Writing sample
- Sample syllabi for a previous or proposed course or courses, class materials and teaching evaluations or other evidence of teaching ability (if available). Particular interest in syllabi for classes on identity and politics, both introductory and advanced.
- Statement of teaching philosophy
References entered on application should be able to speak to the professional qualifications of the applicant and can provide letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation will be solicited when candidates advance to the latter stages of interviewing.
About Sacramento State
Sacramento State is located in the heart of California's capital city, five miles from State Capitol. The lush, 300-acre campus is situated along the American River, close to numerous bike trails and other recreational areas. Sacramento, also known as the "Farm-to-Fork Capital," is one of the most ethnically diverse and livable cities in the country, with a population of half of a million. Sacramento State's 31,000 students come not only from the Greater Sacramento Region, but also from across the state, country, and world. Our 1800 faculty and 1,500 staff are committed to meeting our mission: "As California's capital university, we transform lives by preparing students for leadership, service, and success. Sacramento State will be a recognized leader in education, innovation, and engagement." As the regional hub of higher education, Sacramento State is dedicated to student success, diversity, equity and inclusion, community engagement, philanthropy, and campus safety.
As evidenced by the values embedded in our Hornet Honor Code, Sacramento State is committed to creating an inclusive environment where all faculty, staff, students, and guests are welcome and valued. Our commitment is more than simply ensuring that our campus is free from bias and discrimination, but is one devoted to celebrating many diverse identities, life experiences, and perspectives that enrich our community, teaching and learning.
To learn more about why you should join the Hornet Family, please visit the Why Sac State? page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit https://www.csus.edu/administration-business-affairs/internal/your-hr/benefits/disability-parental-leave.html#reasonable-accommodations-interactive-process .
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit https://www.csus.edu/compliance/hr-compliance/mandatory-dhr-training.html .
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, the current Annual Security Report (ASR) is available for viewing at https://www.csus.edu/clery .
The ASR contains the current security and safety-related policy statements, emergency preparedness and evacuation information, crime prevention and sexual assault prevention information, and drug and alcohol prevention programming. The ASR also contains statistics of Clery Act crimes for Sacramento State for the last three (3) calendar years. Paper copies are available upon request at the Police Service Center located in the University Union.
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
COVID-19 Vaccine Certification Information:
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.. California State University, Sacramento is a sponsoring agency ( ie. H-1-B Visa).
Advertised: November 05, 2021 (9:00 AM)
Applications Closes: Open Until Filled
To apply, visit https://careers.csus.edu/en-us/job/506457/tenure-track-faculty-political-science-identity-politics
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency